Recipe of the Week!
Vegan Butternut Squash Soup!
- Frozen organic butternut squash (from my CSA)
- Vegan veggie stock
- caramelized onions
- Roasted Walnuts
- Mission Figs
VeganRenee Cooking tip:
I caramelize my onions in my favorite pan Le Creuset Signature Enameled Cast-Iron 5-1/2-Quart Round French (Dutch) Oven, Cherry. What I love about the enameled cast iron are a few things. 1. so easy to clean 2. it retains heat well–great for heating/cooking soup and then letting the flavors slowly meld while it cools 3. soup will stay warm longer on those nights where I’m feeding my family over several hours. 4. I can sauté onions or other veggies AND use it for soup–kind of like a cast iron stock pot. Less dishes to clean!
I love making simple soups. When I cook with seasonal food, at it’s peak–I simply can’t go wrong.
Butternut squash is my absolute favorite kind of squash to grow and eat. My CSA’s both offer several weeks of butternut squash during the late summer/fall season–so much so I end up roasting or steaming the squash and then freezing it in bags for soup (or I also make a KILLER pasta sauce with it).
Tomato Mountain Farms is my CSA that delivers YEAR ROUND!
Who wouldn’t like organic produce delivered to their house in the dead of winter? Tomato Mountain also adds tremendous value to the “box” by adding in frozen butternut squash! Totally grooving on that! This soup is the result.
How-To Make It!
- Caramelize onions (and garlic–but I ran out of garlic)
- add thawed Butternut Squash. Heat to a gently boil–gets all the flavors dancing together.
- Let cool. Put it in the fridge until you are ready to eat it. (sometimes I make this ahead a few days to make the week nights or lunch easier.)
- Use an immersion blender to blend the onions and the squash.
- THEN add your veggie stock to get your perfect consistency. I like mine soup on the thicker side.
- Garnish with roasted walnuts and figs.
- Enjoy your lunch knowing that you have eaten a meal that honors the earth and your local farmer!
Be Blessed as you cook with L.O.V.E.!
This post contains an affiliate link.