Which do you prefer?
In preparation for a few new recipes, I posted the question “Rice or Potatoes?” on Renee’s Kitchen Facebook page. The responses varied and included sweet potatoes and quinoa so the results are not exactly scientific!
Growing up I never ate rice–maybe once or twice a year at home. (My Mom loved Chinese buffets so . . . we did eat rice when we would go out!) When I started working in restaurants I began to understand why rice is served–it is less expensive, easier to make consistently and can be reheated. I stored this knowledge away until I started cooking for my own family. We eat rice for these simple reasons:
- it is easier to store
- the yield is greater with rice–5 lbs of potatoes feeds
- it is more nutritious in magnesium but less in potassium and vitamin C
- rice reheats easily (I make double batches for quick evening meals)
- the variety of rice keeps dinner fun and interesting
- simple to make in my rice cooker