Creating a vegan style salad is super easy! Here are my go-to ingredients to a new and exciting salad each night. (Please feel free to add your rave fave salads in the comments! If you are a food blogger please, please, please add a link so we can all have some groovy green love.)
Greens: (in order of my own personal preference)
- baby kale
- lacinato kale or dinosaur kale (for my video on kale click here.)
- swiss chard
- beet greens (did you know you can grow your own? micro, micro farm! –> click here.)
- Zen Blend
- carrots slice 500 different ways
- peppers–red, yellow, green, hot peppers!, roasted peppers (the ones out of a jar)
- my kids like corn on their Taco Salads
Nuts and Seeds:
- WALNUTS (my biggest most favorite!)
- peanuts (especially on my Asian salads)
- black beans (on my Taco Salad)
- garbanzo beans
- pumpkin seeds (roasted–I eat them raw on my oatmeal but not salad. I know–weird.)
Because I’m all about just eating a ding dang salad–it’s just not that hard. It’s good for you. Your heart will thank you and so will your kids . . . or your Mom! or whoever loves you more than anything in the whole world.
Don’t recreate the wheel (or salad)
This was the salad kit I used as a base, then added strawberries. No, it isn’t organic. No, it’s not local. I went for easy, fast, a different flavor blend to try out on my kids.
Salad kits are a great way to:
- introduce new combinations
- try a new green blend
- try a new salad dressing without make the commitment to a jar–I have a graveyard of salad dressings in my fridge! Bums me out.
- perfect size for lunch–put the lettuce in your own container and then add the dressing and toppings at lunch! Brilliant idea.
Go get your salad on!
Be blessed as you honor your body with healthy greens!